Are you up-to-date on the latest compliance requirements for Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)?
Not only does each chemical manufacturer, distributor or importer have to provide an MSDS for each hazardous chemical to downstream users, these safety data sheets are now required to be in a consistent, user-friendly, 16-section format.
The importance of user-friendliness and consistency can’t be overstressed. Imagine trying to find information during an emergency and not knowing exactly where to look because each manufacturer organizes and formats the information differently.
When life and limb are at stake, time is of the essence.
MSDS 16-Section Format
When compiling your Material Safety Data Sheets, organize the binder as follows:
Sections 1-8 should go over general information about the chemical, hazards, identification, safe handling and emergency control measures. Sections 9-11 and 16 cover technical and scientific information. Sections 12-15 are not mandatory but are included to be consistent with the UN Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals.
- Section 1: Identification (for chemical and of supplier)
- Section 2: Hazard(s) identification
- Section 3: Composition and information on ingredients
- Section 4: First-aid measures
- Section 5: Fire-fighting measures
- Section 6: Accidental release measures
- Section 7: Handling and storage
- Section 8: Exposure controls and personal protection
- Section 9: Physical and chemical properties
- Section 10: Stability and reactivity
- Section 11: Toxicological information
- Section 12: Ecological information (non-mandatory)
- Section 13: Disposal considerations (non-mandatory)
- Section 14: Transport information (non-mandatory)
- Section 15: Regulatory information (non-mandatory)
- Section 16: Other information
For more details, see OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard for Compliance.
Lastly, you certainly don’t want to store this important information in a binder that will fall apart after a few drops and quick pulls. At Binders Inc., we pride ourselves on the quality of our products. Contact us to get help organizing your MSDS binder today.